How can I have done so much but it looks so similar to before?? What the what?!
Believe it or not, I consider this worth adding a 0.1 on the version number. But why?
- If you wait long enough, you’ll see the lives system works properly now - you can’t see it but when you complete a level, it credits the life back, just like in the real game.
- You can enter the chute now, that thing in the top-left. In fact, the cursor starts off inside the chute
- I’ve also Yahoo’d* for an old routine I remember reading about… it’s a random number generator by Jon Ritman of Head Over Heels fame. It’s kind of the greatest Spectrum game of all time (#2, Saboteur II, if you’re interested. I’m currently fighting a powerful impulse to convert this game as well. HOH only hasn’t had the treatment because it’s been done to PC by a crack team of ex-SAM-people and other worthy adversaries, aka Retrospec… check it out here… but I crazy digress). I need a random number generator for the chute server but you can’t see the results yet
- The cursor has rounded corners! On the promo shots Domark sent out, the cursor had rounded corners. Well I worked out how to do it with minimal overhead
- I’ve included a levels-worth of graphics. The game recognises a completed level too if it was full…
Hmm. Maybe I’m not that proud of myself actually. The big challenge is to ‘throw blocks’, I didn’t know how to start on this until I slowed down the Spectrum emulator to 1% of total speed and saw it’s little secret: The cursor disappears when blocks are moving! That’s cheating! So next job is to crack this problem.
* Or ‘Google’d’… but who says that??!